CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

November 8, 2010

Here We Go Again

We've been letting it slide, making excuses, caving cause it's easier but tonight I'm putting my foot down and he's not happy. Here come the bedtime laws!

It started out with the he's teething excuse. Then we transitioned into he has a cold and then we went back to he's teething. This has been going on for about a month now and each night has progressively gotten worse, with the pinnacle being last night when he was up practically every hour. I'm sure the time change was a contributing factor but just writing that makes me feel like I'm making excuses again.

So tonight it begins. He went down around 6:30 and by 8:30 he was already up and crying. I held firm and didn't nurse him back to sleep. I went in there and "comforted" a baby who pushed, hit, screamed and snotted all over me but eventually he did go back down and fell asleep on his own.

We'll see how the rest of the night goes. I hope I have the strength to not go in and nurse him every time he gets up. It's just so easy and I can go back to sleep so much sooner. *sigh*

11 comments:

H2 said...

It'll be hard for at least a week, but trust me you'll appreciate it in the end. Does he eat cereal or anything yet? Could you give him some hearty food before bedtime that might help tide him over?

Melissa said...

He eats like a horse. Tonight he ate 4oz of beans and rice and 2 oz of pears plus I nursed him. I know he's not hungry, I think it's more habit and for comfort.

Lisa said...

Good luck. I have a comfort nurser as well.

Next in Line said...

Oh wow. Teething and sickness undid so many good sleeping habits for us too. I hope it gets easier sooner.

Mariah said...

Good luck! Maybe I can find strength to lay down the law at night for my boys too!

Jen said...

Sickness undid our good sleeping habits as well.. There are good and bad nights. Here's hoping you have a good night!

Heather said...

we are going though the very same thing... Late last week we put our foot down and he didn't like that so much. You're right, it is so much easier to nurse. But, he sooo does not *need* it. So far, we've been 3 nights back on our sleeping pattern and so far so good. Lets hope he does not get sick or sprout another tooth for him to get away with wake ups (sometimes many of them!!) during the nigt..

I hope your little guy gets the hints and goes down easier and faster in the up coming nights.

B. said...

Good luck! I wonder if all the parents got together and voiced our objection to antiquated DST we could have it repealed? What purpose does it serve, really?

Stacey said...

Good luck. We are not ones to tell you how to fix it because bedtime is never good with our kids. :P

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry - hope you're all getting more sleep soon!

Pufferfish said...

It's so, so hard. But if you can just tough it out a few nights (3-5), it really will be worth it.
Teething and sickness will always disrupt things, but at least he'll be going down easy and staying asleep for a long chunk of time once he has better sleeping habits. He doesn't need to eat, but he knows he can! Who wouldn't want the magic booby all night long if given the chance?!?
Good luck.