CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

November 24, 2010

Namesake

My dad's name is Jack. He passed away unexpectedly the summer of 2002 of a massive heart attack. He was 56 years old. That's all I'm really going to say about his death. That day was beyond horrible and because of that I don't want it to be what represents the memory of him. It's the 25 years that I got to spend with him that I choose to remember.

I've been thinking a lot about him this week. I guess it's inevitable with my sister's upcoming wedding. Then today when watching Oprah who should be on but Garth Brooks, one of my dad's favorites. Seeing that he was on brought a smile to my face, it was a nice reminder to me that even though he's not here he's still around.

My dad was one of those really great dads. There was that Christmas that he was so excited about the Nintendo he bought us for Christmas that he took it out for us before the 25th, or the times that my sister or I would make him so mad that he would kick the air in frustration as he was scolding us. He would be there at my softball games and when I went away to college he would always call to tell me what the weather was like where I was and what events were going on in town in case I was looking for something to do. He used to call me "kiddo" and when we would go somewhere he would walk beside me and rest his hand on the base of my neck.

It's because of all these reasons and many more that we named Jackson after him. My grandpa died when my dad was 18 years old. I never really talked to my dad about it, about what it was like for him to lose a dad at such a young age. I wish I would have and I wish I would have asked more about my grandfather. I don't really know that much about him or feel that great of a connection. I refuse for this to be the case with Jackson. Jackson will know about his Grandpa Jack and understand why he was named after him.

I guess days like these always seem to come up around holidays and big events like weddings and babies. Today is just one of those days that I'm just missing my dad more than normal.


9 comments:

anofferingoflove said...

what a sweet post - your dad sounds like an amazing man.

Stacey said...

Your dad sounds like he was a great man and wonderful father. I'm sure he would be thrilled to know that his grandson shares his name.

Strangely enough, my biological father was also named Jack. He passed away in 2001 I think it was. Unfortunately he was not a great dad but a troubled man and he took his own life. I just thought it was interesting to note that we had fathers of the same name and our sons have the same name.

I love that second picture of your dad--you can tell that he is a proud new father and I'm sure that nothing meant more to him than his kids by the sounds of it. Sorry that you have to go through a loss like that so early in life--it really isn't fair. Thinking of you.

kat said...

I'm seriously choked up now. Jackson is lucky to have a great namesake. My heart goes out to you (())

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. How wonderful that you named your son after him. He sounds like he was an amazing father.

Erik's middle name (Todd) is after my brother, who died in a car accident when I was 20 and he was 27. I also refuse to let my kids grow up not knowing anything about him.

Sarah C. said...

Your post has me in tears. My dad died unexpectedly of a stroke less than 2 years ago. Your dad sounds like an amazing man, just like mine. I know what an awful feeling it is to know that your child (or future child) will never know their grandfather. Jackson is a lucky guy to have such a wonderful and important name to live up to.

I hope you guys are doing well, SLICC misses you all.

Ineke said...

Thank you, honey!!

tireegal68 said...

Lovely post! Your dad sounds lovely! What a great tribute to him that your beautiful son has his name:) we were going to name our son Harry after my dad - and then we got a girl! Maybe next time :) xo

Next in Line said...

Your Dad sounds so special. I can see the love in the pictures.

Sarah M said...

OMG you are a spitting image of your dad. Freaky--cuz you're a girl. Good thing you don't have a stache. People might get confused.