CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

November 22, 2010

Runaway Day

Today plain sucked. Jackson isn't feeling well and because of it he's been an emotional basket case. If I put him down he cries, if I sit down holding him he cries, if I give him space he cries. But then for a fleeting moment he will find a blissful distraction and the tears stop momentarily until he remembers that he's supposed to be fussy. Case in point: (please ignore my horrible sounding voice)



This was my entire day. On top of it, work was horrible and everything seemed to go wrong. So not only was I trying to balance dealing with Fussy Gussy I had work drama as well. Needless to say I failed miserably at both. So what did I do? If I was a little kid again I think I would have packed up my favorite belongings in my backpack and run away from home. Since that wasn't an option I packed us all up and went to the park. For 30min today, everything was okay. Jackson was a happy boy swinging in the swings and I intentionally left my phone at home so work couldn't follow me there.

I wish I could say that this moment turned the day around and it ended on a positive note but unfortunately it didn't. Jackson continued to have meltdown after meltdown. So when it was time for bed and after an hour of trying to get him down to no avail I plucked my snotty, hiccuping, tear stained boy out of his crib and brought him into our darkened living room where under a fuzzy blanket he laid against me and we watched Yo Gaba Gaba until he had calmed down enough to be put back to bed. Sometimes you just have to do what works and tonight that was what worked. I'm hoping he feels better tomorrow. Based on all the blogs I've been reading it sounds like I'm not alone when it comes to having a sick baby right now.

7 comments:

Pufferfish said...

Oh Lady, we are living the same life more times than I can count. Some days just suck, don't they?
I do hope Jackson feels better soon--at least in time for your flight!

Lisa said...

First off, your voice sounds lovely. Secondly, I hope Jackson feels better. It's both nice and sucky when you have to give up everything and just sit with your kiddo because they are miserable. Preston gets that way after his shots. We literally clear the calendar that day, order in food and just sit and snuggle because he doesn't want to do anything but be held.

Jen said...

Yep, today was a bad day indeed. For us, the cure is Handy Manny, so we all have our little distractions. At the doc office today chunk got a Handy Manny sticker--the kid is already programmed! ;) hope he feels better soon!

Shannon said...

Sorry you had such a bad day. Those days are awful when both work and parenting are not going well. And yes, some days you just have to do whatever works. Hope today is better!

Stacey said...

Ugh, so sorry. I hope he didn't catch it from our Jackson as I think his fussiness all weekend was related to a cold and not teething... :/ No fever and everything checked out fine at the doctor so just your typical cold which can really, really suck. I had one of those weekends as you saw and I agree, it's difficult when you get no break at all and can't get anything done. Sorry work sucked too. Hang in there!

P.S. You left Jackson's hat at our house!!! Let me know if you need me to bring it downtown for Amy or something...

Stacey said...

P.S. November is always the start of the dreaded illnesses from daycare.

Anonymous said...

I can identify with every sentence here as we've been going through it too. I hope your guy feels better soon so that life can return to normal. Sending hugs.